1. Who should apply?If your institution has successfully implemented a project, initiative, program or other activity that addresses climate change mitigation or adaptation while focusing on one of the five areas outlined below, we would like to hear about it.
The 2017 call for applications includes the following five areas of focus:
Women for Results, recognizing the critical leadership and participation of women in addressing climate change;
Financing for Climate Friendly Investment, recognizing successful financial innovations for climate change adaption and mitigation;
ICT Solutions, recognizing successful climate change mitigation or adaptation activities that produce measurable results;
Planetary Health, recognizing novel solutions that balance the need for both human health and a healthy planet;
Climate Neutral Now, recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality;
2. Why apply?
All other activities meeting the eligibility criteria will be included in Momentum for Change’s activity database.
Selected activities under each area of focus will be recognised as Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities and showcased at a series of special events during the United Nations Climate Change Conference this November in Bonn, Germany. Additionally, your Lighthouse Activity will be highlighted through various media channels, providing a unique chance to gain international visibility and recognition. See question number three for the complete benefits package received by Lighthouse Activities.
3. What benefits do Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities receive?Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities receive the following benefits package:
I. Engagement with policy makers
• Recognition by the UNFCCC secretariat;
• Attendance to UN Climate Change Conferences;
• Opportunities to present work to policy makers during the UN Climate Change Conferences.
II. Public relations support
• Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
• On-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing and promotion on UNFCCC website.
III. Marketing support
• Promotional videos and podcasts;
• Dedicated webpage on the UNFCCC website;
• Publications such as annual reports and brochures;
• Graphic assets such as infographics and photography.
IV. Capacity building
• Professional media training during the United Nations Climate Change Conference.
4. What are the basic eligibility criteria?Your activity must meet the eligibility criteria for its respective area of focus. Please note that each of the five areas of focus has its own criteria. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
1. Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
2. Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
3. Be scaleable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
4. Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change;
5. Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
6. Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
5. How do I access the application portal?In order to access the Momentum for Change application portal, you will need to create a user name and password. To create log-in credentials, click here.
After you have created log-in credentials, you will be able to create a new application.
6. How do I know if my application has been submitted successfully?Upon submission of your application, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
7. Are Clean Development Mechanism and Joint Implementation activities allowed to apply?Your activity must not be registered, or have intentions to register, as a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) or Joint Implementation (JI) activity for the next two years.
Projects recognized under voluntary standards, such as Gold Standard and Verified Carbon Standard, are eligible to apply.
8. What are Lighthouse Activities and how are they selected?Through a rigorous evaluation process, the Momentum for Change Advisory Panel will select a small number of activities from the total pool of submissions.
Lighthouse Activities are shining examples of successful mitigation and adaptation actions that serve to inspire and increase momentum for further action on climate change. Lighthouse Activities are chosen on the basis of predefined selection criteria which, in addition to specific thematic criteria, emphasise innovative partnerships as a way to achieve long-lasting, transformational change. Lighthouse Activities must also be replicable and scalable.